Abel Smith School believes that good attendance is essential in order to facilitate teaching and learning. Pupils cannot achieve their full potential if they do not regularly attend school. We are committed to supporting and ensuring parents follow the framework set in section 7 of the Education Act 1996, while we also promote and model good attendance behaviour across the school.
The school will build respectful relationships with each member of the school community to ensure their trust and engagement. All school staff will work with pupils and their families to ensure each pupil attends school regularly.
- Please notify the school on each day of the absence.
- We reserve the right to request a doctor’s/consultant’s letter regarding recurring and frequent illness.
- If you are unsure whether your child should attend school / nursery click on this useful link to help you make the decision.
- Children should not be absent from school to go on a family holiday.
- Only in exceptional circumstances may a Headteacher give permission for a child to be absent for this reason.
The nursery day starts at 8.30 am in order to cater for 30 hours entitlement.
Pupils in years Reception to 6 can come into school from 8.40am and the school day starts promptly at 8.50 a.m. Registers close at 9.00 a.m. and arrival at school after this time, without prior approval or extenuating circumstances, will be recorded as an unauthorised absence.