Nursery Admission Statement
Starting nursery is a very important milestone in every child’s life. As a parent/carer, you have an important role to play in helping your child take the first steps on their learning journey. We are keen to work with you to make sure that starting nursery is a positive experience for your child, and to help your child achieve their full potential in a warm and caring environment.
Abel Smith Nursery is an integral part of Abel Smith School, which is rated as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted.
Children are expected to attend five morning sessions to ensure continuity in their learning, and access to the whole curriculum. A session lasts for three hours, and 15 hours per week (5 sessions) are funded by the government. Our nursery has one intake in September.
30 Hours provision at Abel Smith
As well as morning nursery, we are also operating a lunch club and afternoon nursery session each day. These sessions are available to all nursery children, whether funded (via 30 hours entitlement) or for a fee. Each term you can choose how many sessions your child will attend. We do not offer partial sessions (e.g. leaving at 2:30 pm) and you cannot change booked sessions until the following term. For lunch club you will need to provide a healthy packed lunch for your child. See below for more information about entitlement to 30 hours.
Session Times and Prices
|Morning Nursery – Monday to Friday||8.30 – 11.30||Funded via Government 15-hour scheme|
|Lunch Club – Monday to Friday||11.30 – 12.30||£6 per session or part of the 30-hour entitlement|
|Afternoon Nursery Monday to Thursday||12.30 – 15.00||£20 per session|
|Note: There is no Afternoon Nursery on Friday. Nursery on a Friday finishes at 11.30 or 12.30 if your child is attending lunch club.|
A late pick-up fee will be applied, at the schools’ discretion, for each block of 15 minutes entered into.
Unfortunately, we are not able to give refunds for sessions that children miss due to illness or holidays.
The Nursery operates term time only and follows the Abel Smith School calendar observing the same holidays.
In addition we have an independently run Out Of School Club (The Dell) operating within the school grounds. They provide Breakfast Club from 7.30am, Afterschool Club until 6pm and Holiday Club which covers most of the school holidays. See their website for further details – www.thedell.org.uk.
More About Us
- The Nursery makes provision for children with special needs and children who have English as an additional language.
- The setting employs one full time teacher and part time teaching assistants educated to NVQ level 3, always providing the appropriate ratios (1:13).
- To keep you informed a learning journal is compiled, which is a celebration of your child’s achievement throughout their time in Nursery. It records those special moments keeping you involved in a partnership as your child develops. You are also able to post your own observations of exciting things you do at home/during holidays.
- The Nursery children at Abel Smith are encouraged to wear our school polo shirt and other practical clothing, as we expect them to participate in painting, gluing and outdoor play.
- We promote healthy eating in school and participate in the governments ‘School Fruit and Vegetable Scheme’. This entitles each child to a free piece of fruit or vegetable each school day. Under the Welfare Food Scheme, run by the Department of Health, ‘Under fives’ are also eligible for free school milk.
The next academic year starting 1st September 2021 for children born 1st September 2017 to August 2018. Applications should be made directly to the school, from Monday 1st February 2021.
Allocation of a Nursery place does not guarantee subsequent admission into Abel Smith School Reception Class. Parents must re-apply for a school place through the County Council and not directly to the school.
|Applications Open||Monday 1st February 2021||Please complete the Google form and submit the application by 12 noon on the deadline date|
|Application Deadline||Thursday 25th February 2021||You can submit your applications up to 12 noon on this date for consideration. Applications received after this date will not be considered for a nursery place until Wednesday 21st April 2021.|
|Offer Date||Friday 12th March 2021||We will email you with the outcome of your application by 12 noon on this date.|
|Accept your Place||Thursday 25th March 2021||Last date for accepting the place offered. Please ensure that you have accepted the place in writing by email by this date.|
If applications to Abel Smith Nursery exceed the number of places available, then the following set of admission criteria, or rules, are used to decide which children to offer places to:
- Children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs which names the school will be allocated a place in accordance with section 324 of the Education Act 1996.
- Children for whom it can be demonstrated that they have a particular medical or social need to go to the school.
- Children in public care (children looked after).
- Children who have a sibling at the school at the time of application, unless the sibling is in the last year of the normal age-range of the school i.e. Year 6.
- Children who currently attend our pre-school for at least 4 sessions per week.
- Those who live nearest to the nursery as measured in a straight line calculated by the following
Right of Appeal: Parents are asked not to telephone the school to discuss the allocation but appeal in writing to the School giving the circumstances to be taken into account.
In Year Admissions to Nursery
In year admissions into our Nursery class will be considered on a case by case basis depending on the numbers in the current class.
30 HOURS FREE CHILDCARE
What is is?
This is an entitlement for working parents of 3 and 4 year old children which was introduced by the Government in September 2017. It is an additional 15 hours per week of childcare entitlement in addition to the child’s existing 15 hour free early education place. You can choose to use it in any setting that offers it.
Who is Eligible? It is the responsibility of the parent to apply for 30 hours free childcare via the online HMRC eligibility checker. Parents will receive a voucher code if they are eligible which should be entered on the application form. It is necessary to reconfirm your eligibility every 3 months by logging back into your childcare service account www.gov.uk/sign-in-childcare-account. You should receive reminders from HMRC about this. Therefore it may be necessary for you to reconfirm several times before your child’s Nursery start date.
For eligibility criteria, and to apply, go to www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
For up-to-date information on childcare in Hertfordshire go to www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/parents