Nursery Admission Statement
We have a limited number of spaces available in our Nursery class starting in September 2018. If you wish to apply for one of these spaces please complete the application form below and return it to the school as soon as possible.
Starting nursery is a very important milestone in every child’s life. As a parent/carer, you have an important role to play in helping your child take the first steps on their learning journey. We are keen to work with you to make sure that starting nursery is a positive experience for your child, and to help your child achieve their full potential in a warm and caring environment.
Abel Smith Nursery is an integral part of Abel Smith School, which is rated as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted.
Children are expected to attend five morning sessions to ensure continuity in their learning, and access to the whole curriculum. A session lasts for three hours, and 15 hours per week (5 sessions) are funded by the government. Our nursery has two intakes, September and January, but we admit summer born nursery children into nursery in September if it is considered to be in the best interests of the child.
30 Hours provision at Abel Smith
As well as morning nursery, we are also operating a lunch club and afternoon nursery session each day. These sessions are available to all nursery children, whether funded (via 30 hours entitlement) or for a fee. Each term you can choose how many sessions your child will attend. We do not offer partial sessions (e.g. leaving at 2:30pm) and you cannot change booked sessions until the following term. For lunch club you will need to provide a healthy packed lunch for your child. See below for more information about entitlement to 30 hours.
Session Times and Prices
Morning Nursery 9am to 12pm Funded via 15 hour scheme
Lunch Club 12pm to 1pm £5 per session or part of 30 hour entitlement
Afternoon Nursery 1pm to 3pm £14 per session or part of 30 hour entitlement
A late pick-up fee will be applied, at the schools’ discretion, for each block of 15 minutes entered into.
The Nursery operates term time only and follows the Abel Smith School calendar observing the same holidays.
In addition we have an independently run Out Of School Club (The Dell) operating within the school grounds. They provide Breakfast Club from 7.30am, Afterschool Club until 6pm and Holiday Club which covers most of the school holidays. See their website for further details – www.thedell.org.uk.
More About Us
- The Nursery makes provision for children with special needs and children who have English as an additional language.
- The setting employs one full time teacher and part time teaching assistants educated to NVQ level 3, always providing the appropriate ratios (1:13).
- To keep you informed a learning journal is compiled, which is a celebration of your child’s achievement throughout their time in Nursery. It records those special moments keeping you involved in a partnership as your child develops. You are also able to post your own observations of exciting things you do at home/during holidays.
- The Nursery children at Abel Smith are encouraged to wear our school polo shirt and other practical clothing, as we expect them to participate in painting, gluing and outdoor play.
- We promote healthy eating in school and participate in the governments ‘School Fruit and Vegetable Scheme’. This entitles each child to a free piece of fruit or vegetable each school day. Under the Welfare Food Scheme, run by the Department of Health, ‘Under fives’ are also eligible for free school milk.
The next academic year starting 1st September 2018 for children born 1st September 2014 to August 2015. Applications should be made directly to the school, as outlined, from Monday 5th February 2018.
Allocation of a Nursery place does not guarantee subsequent admission into Abel Smith School Reception Class. Parents must re-apply for a school place through County Council and not directly to the school.
Application Online and Paper Form – This will be available from Monday 5th February 2018 on this page
|Applications Open||Monday 5th February 2018||
Please complete the application form either via the school website, or by filling in a paper copy of the form and returning it to the school office by 12pm on the deadline date
|Application Deadline||Wednesday 28th February 2018||You can submit your applications up to 12pm on this date for consideration. Applications received after this date will not be considered for a nursery place until the week commencing 23rd April 2018|
|Offer Date||Friday 16th March 2018||
Where possible we will email you with the outcome of your application by 12pm on this date. Notification letters will be posted to any application that has indicated that they are unable to receive information electronically
|Accept your Place||Thursday 29th March 2018||Last date for accepting the place offered. Please ensure that you have accepted the place in writing (by email or letter).|
If applications to Abel Smith Nursery exceed the number of places available, then the following set of admission criteria, or rules, are used to decide which children to offer places to:
- Children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs which names the school will be allocated a place in accordance with section 324 of the Education Act 1996. Children for whom it can be demonstrated that they have a particular medical or social need to go to the school.
- Children in public care (children looked after).
- Children for whom it can be demonstrated that they have a particular medical or social need to go to the school.
- Children who have a sibling at the school at the time of application, unless the sibling is in the last year of the normal age-range of the school i.e. Year 6.
- Children who currently attend our preschool for at least 4 sessions per week.
- Those who live nearest to the nursery as measured in a straight line calculated by the following
Right of Appeal: Parents are asked not to telephone the school to discuss the allocation but appeal in writing to the School giving the circumstances to be taken into account.
30 HOURS FREE CHILDCARE
What is is?
This is a new entitlement for working parents of 3 and 4 year old children which was introduced by the Government in September 2017. This is an additional 15 hours per week of childcare entitlement in addition to the child’s existing 15 hour free early education place. You can choose to use it in any setting that offers it.
Who is Eligible? It is the responsibility of the parent to apply for 30 hours free childcare via the online HMRC eligibility checker. Parents will receive a voucher code if they are eligible which should be entered on the application form. It is necessary to reconfirm your eligibility every 3 months by logging back into your childcare service account www.gov.uk/sign-in-childcare-account. You should receive reminders from HMRC about this. Therefore it may be necessary for you to reconfirm several times before your child’s Nursery start date.
For eligibility criteria, and to apply, go to www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
For up-to-date information on childcare in Hertfordshire go to www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/parents