Welcome to Year 6!
The class teacher is Mrs Cockley and she is supported in class by Mrs Pratt and Mrs Tranter.
Collectively we strive to make the children’s last year at Abel Smith full of wonderful memories that will enable them to move confidently into their new secondary schools. Supporting children to take responsibility and build their independence in all aspects of their daily life and encouraging them to participate in a range of extra-curricular activities is key to building a healthy, confident young people who make good choices and understand what they need to do to reach and succeed in the careers to which they aspire.
We welcome your support to:
- Make sure your child arrives on time to school.
- Maintain excellent attendance.
- Support your child in ensuring that they are fully equipped for the day.
- Help your child to take responsibility for completing their school jobs.
- Check that your child is dressed in the correct school uniform and has a full PE kit in school each day.
- Hear your child read regularly and write a positive comment in their diary.
- Provide a quiet space for your child to do their homework and support when necessary.
- Talk to your child about their day and encourage them to tell you about their learning.
- To further develop their independence, encourage your child to discuss any worries that they may have about school with me.
- Support our positive behaviour for learning policy by discussing appropriate behaviour with your child and ways to avoid / deal with confrontation.
- Support our eSafety policy by modelling and guiding your child to use technology appropriately, responsibly and safely.
Latest News - view whole school
View all news
- Homework will be given out each Monday and must be returned on the following Monday morning
- Homework will consist of: Reading, Spellings, Grammar book & Maths book.
- Online Maths games for Abacus – use your unique login
- In Year 6, children will be tested on their weekly spellings on a Monday
- Year 6 must have their home learning books in school every day.
- PE lessons on a Tuesday (swimming for Autumn Term) & Wednesday