Hi, My name is Mrs Hodge and I am the year 5 class teacher and lead English throughout the school. I love working with the children in my class to prepare them for the challenging year ahead.
Latest News - view whole school
View all news
Term: Summer 1
Non Fiction Journalistic Reports: Text Focus – ‘Tuesday’ by David Wiesner
To explore Newspaper reports/To write a journalistic report
Fiction Classic Plays: Text Focus- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
to investigate different ways of writing dialogue, including play scripts layout and the use of informal language.
Fiction Classic Texts: ‘The Secret Garden’ by Francis Hodgson Burnett
Focus on texts from our literary heritage – description of settings and character study
Spellings – words ending in ‘ough’ / words with ‘ear’ sound spelt ‘ere’ / National Curriculum words.
Handwriting –Joined cursive script
- Decimals and Percentages
- To solve problems which require knowing decimal and percentage equivalents
- 1/2 1/4 1/5
- To find 10% 1% of an amount
- To read, write and compare decimals to three decimal places, understanding that the third decimal place represents thousandths; multiply and divide numbers by 10, 100 and 1000 using 3-place decimal numbers in answers
- To know angles are measured in degrees, estimate and measure acute obtuse and reflex angles.
- To investigate angles on a straight line
- Assessment Week
- Check up units
- To draw given angles using protractors and measure them in degrees
Living Things and Their Habitats
Parts of a Plant/Life cycle of a plant
Life cycle of a Mammal
Metamorphosis – the differences in the life cycle of an amphibian and an insect
Compare life cycles of a mammal amphibian insect and bird
Topic: Gods and Mortals
This half term we will be studying the history of Ancient Greece in our topic ‘Gods and Mortals’
PSHE – Values Based PSHE – Listening and Equality-Feminism
Computing – word processing and key skills
P.E. – cricket and tag rugby
Music– This term we will be following the Charanga unit ‘Don’t Stop Believing’
Art – Henry Moore and Greek Masks
- Homework will be set on a Monday and must be given in the following Monday.
- Homework will consist of a grammar and maths task from a CGP book, weekly spellings and learning of times tables.
- The children are expected to read at home each evening and record their reading in their journal.
- P.E. Kit preferably will be kept in school throughout the week – our P.E. sessions have been timetabled for Thursday afternoon and Friday morning