Welcome to the Year 3 class news page! We are Mrs Berry and Mrs Williams and we are the class teacher for Year 3. Year 3 is the start of KS2 for our children, and we work hard to ensure all our children transition to a new key stage as smoothly as possibly.
Latest News - view whole school
View all news
Term: Summer 1
Week 1-2: Explanations
- To recognise features of an explanation.
- To use causal conjunctions
- To sequence an explanation text.
- To organise writing in a plan.
- To write a key reason for an explanation.
- To begin to use paragraphs to group related materials
- To include a structured sequences of events linked using conjunctions and adverbs
- To turn notes into sentences grouping information, often moving from general to more specific detail.
Weeks 3-4 &6 : Persuasive texts
- To adopt features of genre gathered from reading
- To write paragraphs for each stage of the writing
- To retrieve information from a text
- To try to adopt a viewpoint when I write
- To turn notes into sentences by grouping and adding detail
- To use a wider range of phrases to sequence writing
- To use formal and informal styles and vocabulary appropriate to the purpose
Handwriting –Cursive script
Guided reading – weekly small group session focussing on HfL Steps
- Compare and order unit fractions, and fractions with the same denominators.
- Recognise and show, using diagrams, equivalent fractions with small denominators
- Add and subtract fractions with the same denominator within one whole
- Solve problems that involve fractions.
- Recognise angles as a property of shape or a description of a turn.
- Identify right angles, recognise that two right angles make a half turn, three make three quarters of a turn and four a complete turn; identify whether angles are greater than or less than a right angle..
- Measure, compare, add and subtract: lengths (m/cm/mm); mass (kg/g); volume/capacity (l/ml).
- Continue to measure using the appropriate tools and units, progressing to using a wider range of measures, including comparing and using mixed units (for example, 1kg and 200g) and simple equivalents of mixed units (for example, 5m = 500cm).
The Human Body
- Types of Skeletons
Topic: Ancient Egypt
This half term we will be studying the history and geography of life in Ancient Egypt.
PSHE: – Values Based PSHE – Equality
P.E.– Team games
Music– Recorders with Ms Todd.
Art – Week 6 art week
|Homework will be given out on a Monday and handed in the following Monday
1-2 Pages CGP set weekly – Alternate weeks Grammar/Maths
Weekly spelling lists (given in spelling practise book). Spellings to be given out and tested on a Monday.
Daily reading – recorded in the diary
Weekly practise of 3x, 4x and 8x tables