My name is Miss Richards and I am the Reception class teacher. I began working at Abel Smith in 2012 in Year 2, moved to Year 1 and then two years ago I moved to Reception – where my heart lies! I am an experienced Reception teacher and love the challenges and creativity that an early years curriculum brings.
Latest News - view whole school
View all news
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- An introduction to Abel Smith Reception and routines.
- Decide a shared behaviour code.
- Safety in the EYFS garden.
- Circle time games to get to know each other.
- Meet the friendly faces of Abel Smith – tour of the school.
- Explore concepts of good hygiene/ hand washing
- Note changes to body before, during and after exercise.
Communication and Language
- Children to share weekend news.
- Children to share feelings after the hello song.
- Circle time – things that make me happy, things that make me sad.
- Fine Motor Skills- weekly program of tracing, threading, cutting, pegging and writing.
- Wake ‘n’ Shake
- How can we keep our body healthy and fit? How does what we eat affect this? Why is it important to have a healthy, balanced diet?
- Exploring tools in the malleable area.
- Exploring the outdoor equipment
- Recap of Phase one Letters and Sounds – What can you hear?
- Introduction of Phase Two Letters and Sounds
- Initial sounds
- Begin to blend VC and CVC words (vowel consonant and consonant vowel consonant)
- Sharing big books
- Begin individual reading books
- Writing name
- Numbers and shapes in the environment.
- Daily counting linked to registers, milk, lunches etc.
- Counting different actions, carrying out actions to a given number.
- Work based around ten in the bed, counting, taking away one each time, one more/one less.
- Number songs
Understanding the World
- What can I do now that I couldn’t when I was a baby?
- I.C.T. Paint program
- Use magnifying glasses, periscopes, and kaleidoscopes to explore looking closely at objects and people.
- Listening to different everyday noises- Soundtracks game.
- Touching different materials, sandpaper, velvet etc.
- Taste a variety of fruit and discuss likes and dislikes.
Expressive arts and design
- Painting self-portraits
- Routine songs including: good morning, days of the week, months of the year.
- Pupils agreed choice of role-play area
- Exploring the music area