Hi, my name is Miss Rix and I teach in Year 2. I have been at Abel Smith for 2 years now and love the positive and friendly ethos this school has! I love teaching in year 2, we always have lots of fun while we learn important skills.
In year 2 we ensure that the children cover lots of varied and interesting topics which support them in their SATs which we take in the summer term. We organise these so that they are completed in a calm and supportive environment where they feel comfortable to achieve their potential.
Latest News - view whole school
View all news
Term: Spring 2
Week 1: Humorous Poems
- Read and enjoy listening to a poem.
- Practise and perform a poem with others.
- Compose a short simple poem.
- Write a poem based on one read.
- Write poem.
- Read own work aloud to check for sense and meaning.
- Proof-read and edit own writing.
Week 2: Where the wild things are
- Book review – to give an opinion
- Character descriptions – to use expanded noun phrases
- To retell a story
- Westend In Schools workshop
Weeks 3 and 4: Stories involving fantasy
- Read and enjoy listening to a story.
- Create a character profile.
- Predict what might happen in a story.
- Write a simile.
- Write sentences containing extended noun phrases.
- Review stories read and give reasons for opinions.
- Identify and begin to spell words ending –tion.
- Think about and create a story based on a dragon and using aspects of dragon stories read.
- Tell others the story, sequencing the beginning, the middle and the end.
- Make a story plan for the story described yesterday.
- Complete a story.
- Proof read own writing to check punctuation and spelling.
Weeks 5 and 6: Information texts
- Explore a non-fiction text giving information.
- Create factual sentences.
- Read and spell words ending in the suffix –ing.
- Add adjectives to describe nouns.
- Use expanded noun phrases in a description.
- Explore features of information texts.
- Research information for their own page about a pet.
- Plan an information page.
- Demarcate sentences using appropriate punctuation.
- Identify and write question titles for their information page.
- Use the features of information pages in their own writing.
Handwriting –Cursive script
Phonics – daily sessions (focus on suffixes)
Guided reading – weekly small group session focussing on HfL Steps
Weeks 1 and 2:
Geometry- properties of shape
- Create shape patterns
- Identify and describe the properties of 2-D shapes, including the number of sides and line symmetry in a vertical line.
- Identify and describe the properties of 3-D shapes, including the number of edges, vertices and faces.
- Identify 2-D shapes on the surface of 3-D shapes, [for example, a circle on a cylinder and a triangle on a pyramid.]
Weeks 3, 4 and 5:
Number – fractions
- Recognise, find, name and write fractions 1/3, 1/4, 2/4 and ¾ of a length, shape, set of objects or quantity.
- Write simple fractions for example, ½ of 6 = 3 Recognise the equivalence of 2/4 and 1/2
- Recognise and use symbols for pounds (£) and pence (p);
- Combine amounts to make a particular value.
- Find different combinations of coins that equal the same amounts of money.
Squash, Bend, Twist and stretch
- The children will learn about everyday materials
Topic: Ice Explorers (Significant people)
This half term we will be studying the History of explorers in Antarctica in our topic ‘Ice Explorers’
PSHE: – Values Based PSHE –Perseverance and Independence
R.E.- This half term we will be exploring the Easter story
Music– This term we will be learning how to play the recorder
Art – Photography and photo editing
- Homework will be given out each Monday and must be returned on the following Monday morning
- 1-2 Pages CGP set weekly – Alternate weeks Grammar/Maths
- Weekly spelling lists (given in spelling practise book)
- Daily reading – recorded in the diary
- Weekly practise of 2x, 5x and 10x tables
- PE lessons will be swimming on a Tuesday but we may go out for extra sessions during the week.